James E. Crawford Jr.
866-635-0623 (Toll Free)
Mr. Crawford is the founding and managing partner of James Crawford Law, with close to twenty-one years of trial experience in federal and state courts throughout Maryland and beyond. Mr. Crawford is recognized as one of the most able and tenacious trial lawyers in Maryland. He has enjoyed an extraordinary record of success. His primary areas of practice include all types of serious criminal law, as well as high-profile criminal litigation. He has been recognized as a leader in the legal community by his peers and clients for many years.
Since 1992, Mr. Crawford has represented thousands of criminal clients in courts throughout Maryland. He is truly an established criminal trial lawyer. He has been in a Maryland courtroom just about every day of his working career and has tried thousands of criminal cases in District court, Circuit court, U.S. District Court and before many Administrative Agencies.
Although, Mr. Crawford has been established as a criminal defense attorney for many years, he also handles serious civil litigation matters including domestic issues and personal injury litigation.
His firm was named "Best of Baltimore" in 2011 and is looked upon as an innovative and aggressive law firm who gets the job done.
Jim’s Professional Back Ground & History
After law school Mr. Crawford immediately went into private practice in 1992, opening a law office in Baltimore. At the time he was a young general practitioner who handled many different types of cases with a focus on criminal law. Gradually, over the years he established himself as a premier practitioner in the State of Maryland. Understanding that in order to accomplish his mission of practicing law on an extremely high level, he must offer the type of services to the community that he would want if he needed legal representation himself, he gradually expanded the firm into the full-service law firm that it is today.
One of Mr. Crawford's passions has always been politics. He comes from a family that believed service to the community and being involved in political life was a fundamental requirement as a productive member of society. Mr. Crawford's political career ranges from being noted as one of the youngest elected officials in the State's history to handling and running many state, local and judicial campaigns.
Since entering private practice Mr. Crawford has handled many notable cases that have appeared in the media. The type of clients he represents ranges from ordinary citizens to police officers, professional athletes, lawyers, doctors, politicians and other persons of notoriety.
Some examples of noteworthy cases Mr. Crawford has handled are:
- Representation of a 17-year-old man in Anne Arundel County who was accused of raping a minor. The issue as Mr. Crawford saw it was whether the State of Maryland should continue to use the antiquated separate Juvenile system where a Defendant who is under the age of majority (18) can be charged as a juvenile. Currently Maryland uses these two distinct systems where a Defendant is either charged as an adult or a juvenile. Mr. Crawford has urged the legislature and Courts to create a "blended" juvenile system so that a juvenile can be charged as an adult but receive the services as a juvenile. Mr. Crawford was successful in handling that case. News story handled by Fox 45, WBAL, Channel TV2.
- Representation of an individual accused of selling CDS (Controlled Dangerous Substances) in Baltimore City by police officers who arrested him and subsequently beat him up on two occasions. Fox News 45 interviewed Mr. Crawford. He explained that he was able to have the charges against his client dismissed in toto. Mr. Crawford is currently handling a civil law suit against the two police officers.
- Representation of a long time worker at Catholic Charities accused of sexually molesting a client for years. The client was charged in Baltimore county. News story was handled by Fox 45 Baltimore.
- Representation of a professional basketball player in Anne Arundel County. The case was resolved so that there were no implications that would affect the player's basketball career.
- Representation of a young man who was accused of various serious sex offenses in Baltimore County, Maryland. The charges were crippling in that any conviction would have ruined the defendant’s life. After a thorough investigation, Mr. Crawford was able to have the case dismissed.
- Representation of a young man in Baltimore City who was accused of raping and murdering a child that was 8 years old. The defendant was charged along with two other individuals. After a two-week jury trial Mr. Crawford's client was acquitted on all charges. The other two defendants were found guilty and given life sentences. Case was covered by most local networks and nationally.
- Representation of a man in Anne Arundel Circuit Court who was accused of manufacturing and selling CDS in excess of 50 lbs of marijuana. After negotiating and handling the case Mr. Crawford was able to convince the Judge to grant his client Probation Before Judgment, a result that is extremely rare based on the facts of the case.
- Representation in The Federal District Court of Maryland where an individual was accused of importing from China hundreds of thousands of "fake" Viagra and other non-brand sexual pills. The merchandise was being imported via various pilots at BWI airport. After various hearings and negotiating with the Assistant United States Attorney, Mr. Crawford was able to reduce the case and resolve it successfully for the defendant.
- Representation of a police officer in Prince Georges County accused of various crimes. After various hearings, the cases was dismissed.
- Representation of a Defendant who was about to be charged with a very serious sex offense in Baltimore County. The Defendant was in a situation where a young female had accused him of performing various sex offenses with her. The Defendant claimed innocence. He was the owner of a large company with many employees in Baltimore. If he were to be charged, his entire life and career would be in ruin. After a careful investigation and many discussions with the Detective and lead State's Attorney, Mr. Crawford was able to convince the State not to proceed.
Areas of Practice
- Federal Criminal Law
- State Courts
- Sex Crimes & Registration
- Computer Crimes
- White Collar
- DWI & Traffic
- Drug Charges
- Weapons & Violent Crimes
- Domestic Violence
- Juvenile Causes
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Maryland, 1992
- U.S. District Court District of Maryland, 1994
- University of Baltimore School of Law, Baltimore, Maryland
- J.D. - 1992
- University of Baltimore School of Law, Baltimore, Maryland
- MA Legal Studies - June, 1988
- University J of Baltimore Graduate School
- M.A. - 1987
- Frostburg State College
- B.A. - 1985
Honors and Awards
- Maryland Super Lawyers Listing, 2014-2016
- Top Lawyers in Maryland Award, The Legal Network, 2013
- AV Preeminent Martindale Hubbel, 2005-2013
- AV Preeminent Lexis Nexis Peer Review Highest Rating, 2009-2012
- Lead Counsel rating, LawInfo.Com, 2011-2012
- Author of "Identity Fraud", West Publishing, 2012
- Best of Baltimore Award, Baltimore City Paper, 2011
- Past Elected Official State Central Committee, 1982
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Maryland Bar Association, Member
- Baltimore County Bar Association, Member
- American Association for Justice, Member
- Maryland Democratic State Central Committee, Member
- American Bar Association Section of Litigation, Criminal Litigation Committee
- Americas DUI DWI Attorneys
- Criminal Defense Attorneys Group
- Criminal Defense Lawyers Group
- DUI Defense Lawyers
- DUI Law Group
- FCPA Criminal Practice Group
- Forensic Science Litigation Attorney Network
- Maryland Association for Justice, Inc.
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- National Lawyers Guild (NLG)
- Solo Attorney Practitioner's Forum
- The Innocence Project
- Trial Lawyer Network for Lawyers and Attorneys
- White Collar Criminal Defense Attorneys
- American Bar Association